Sunday 15 April 2012

Baby gajah

'Nadiah, please help me with the curtains'. 'Later mother, i need to attend to baby gajah!' Baby gajah as big baby. Elephant is big. Baby is a baby. A person who most of the times demand to be attended to like a baby whose needs are looked upon is called a baby. Only that when that person has outgrown the baby stage in our family she is called baby gajah. The phrase has been in the family since i do not know when. Maybe after my firstborn started primary school and maybe she is the one who started the phrase. Baby gajah and 'not-not' ( i shall tell later) is often called upon among us. I have not heard the phrase for quite sometime because my daughters are away in college. So is my sister who works overseas. Only recently we got a chance to meet and when we do, that is when all the teasing started. The phrase baby gajah surfaces again. I said to myself, wow its been a long time, uttered as naturally as can be. Teasing is fun, creates laughter.  I believe the phrase will stay with us for a long long time. As long as any of us 'wants' to be baby gajah.............

1 comment:

  1. Ya, baby gajah is great! They call me big baby, but not as in gajah despite me being so young lah! Ha, ha. I rather be grown up but still treated like a baby. Remember, baby is rajah, not gajah! To be pampered and tended to all the time is simply royalty! I used to tell people I was once a crown prince in imperial China but somebody took exception to it as it was wont to be in palace intrigues of old so I didn't get to ascend the dragon throne. My day will come lah. Meanwhile as long as my loved ones and friends continue to treat me like big baby I am already on the throne. No complain. But I am still looking for more people to pamper me. Ha ha again. Nice topic though, Zu!

    ReplyDelete