Friday 7 September 2012

I remember those eyes.

I was cradling my new born baby, not yet a day old, my third daughter when I heard  from a distance, chattering of a child. It was visiting hours in the hospital. They were voices I recognize very well. She was holding her grandma's, my mother's hand. My eldest was walking next to them, herself only a week away to turning six. In my second child's hand was her rag doll which  I named Ofi. The rag doll was mine. A dear friend gave it to me when I was in college. Ofi is older than her and she still has Ofi. Now Ofi keeps her warm in college. Yes, she is now in university pursuing a Law degree.
Nafisah had just turned two years old when I presented her with a little sister. Months before that we pondered on the names for the unborn baby. Nadiah my first born decided on the name Nasihah. Eager as she was to see her little sister, Nafisah was quite hesitant not knowing what to expect. As she approached I saw those eyes, huge, round, black, inquisitive. The image so vivid until now. Nafisah was wearing a pink plain and checked three tier dress. Same color as Ofi's. Bubblegummers shoes with lace white socks. Her  straight hair was kept in the china doll style. The fringes was just above her eyes covering her eyebrows. She looked like a doll herself. Her round black eyes eyed the moving bundle in my arms. Her curious eyes locked on Nasihah. She slowly moved forward and touched her little sister. It was a sight to behold. Then all the questions flowed from her, why is the baby this, why is the baby that, why does the baby do that, why does the baby do this, why does the baby cry???????..she had so many questions and insisted on the answers. There I was, still tired after childbirth entertaining her with the answers. Nafisah's growing years are full with questions, a very inquisitive child. A very intelligent child.
Those eyes, lovely eyes. God bestowed her a pair of beautiful eyes. There are moments in your childrens' life that stays with you. Mine are many. With Nafisah, when I see her, her eyes, I remember that evening when she came to visit her baby sister and me at the hospital. The rag doll in her hand, the other holding her grandma....

1 comment:

  1. Nice story! They say the eyes are the window to the soul. Try looking into your own eyes in the mirror. Keep on looking deeply into them and try not to divert attention to other features of your face. Just keep on looking, deeper and deeper into your own eyes and tell me what you see.

    ReplyDelete