Monday 17 September 2012

We need a toys-box

After the picture book Nadiah and I did together, we embarked on another project. I believed getting my daughter involved in these crafts projects would enhance her intelligence. The step by step process of finishing the craft is an excellent learning stage for her. This time we did a box to accommodate her growing collection of toys. I made certain her toys were educational toys, those of 'playschool', 'fisher price', lego, lasy and many other building blocks and so forth. I also made 'batu serenban' for her to play, a traditional game which trains one's coordination skills. One needs to be fast with one's eyes, fingers and hands. 'Batu serenban', can be played with small pebbles but often it is made from pieces of cloth sewn into a pyramid shape. The small pyramid pouches are filled with tiny beans. The game comes in a set of five or seven small pyramid pouches. When Nadiah attended primary school she had me made the 'batu serenban' for her friends. I am off track. I am suppose to be writing about the toys-box. This time I used a washing machine box. A rectangular box about two feet in width and three feet in length. I cut it to the height of two feet. The box was wrapped with multilayers of thick brown papers. The reason for doing so is to give the box additional strength making it strong and sturdy. My daughter had the task of pasting cut pictures round the outer side of the box. She was happy to have a big box of her own to keep her toys. I am much happier because there is less mess around the house. Sometimes Nadiah would empty the box,climbed into it making it her castle. Children and their imagination never fail to amaze oneself. We placed the box in the living room and it became a conversation piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment